Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Saturday 5 May 2012

Day 2- Welcome to hell (sorry Dartmoor)

Day Two where do we start! What a beautiful day, wall to wall sunshine. We travelled from Liskard and hit the Dartmoor National Park such a stunning place until you are faced with the biggest hill yet which appears to be never, never ending, what a challenge! Once at the top the views were spectacular and worth the hard work.

Angela

Warwick has a scenic punture
 Adam: pleasantly cycling along on the way to lunch, having done the majority of the basturd hills in Dartmoor, I was maybe not quite being as aware of the impending potential for disaster as I should have been thinking about my belly (as I am well-known for; and, actually, have been brought up with an ability to eat excessively anyway). So there I was minding my own busisness, when an old lady (with a penchant for death) decided in her assumed, but misplaced wisdom, that any timeto cross the road would be good enough, and that two cyclists (myself & Tom) would not constitute a road hazard, and crossing the road 10metres in front of us with no indication would probably be acceptable in her little world. 
Well, within a couple of her unconsidered steps, I realised we had a trouble-maker on the loose, and evasive action needed to be taken, I thought about passing in front of her, as she was only to old lady steps onto the road; but realised with Tom a couple of seconds behind, he would then possibly have a bigger dilemma whether to go ahead of her pleasantly unaware strides; or behnind, given (just like the chicken on the road on day 1) we would have no way of telling what this old lady would do, or turn into, once she realised her little place of innocent meandering was actually a road with two ravenous cyclists on it who were not about to slow down when jelly babies and pork pies were on offer no more than 100yds away...
I chose to squeeze through the narrow gap behind her, and because at the point of reaching this old ladies trajectory, she was at least 3.5 old lady steps from the pavement on the side she had departed from, this meant that after moderate rapid deliberation at break-neck speed, both myself & Tom managed to negotiate the extra unforeseen challenge on our LEJOG cycle: the silly pedestrian!
I apologise for any offense caused to old ladies, this was not my intention!

Cheers, Adam






 



The only way we could shut Adam up




No comments:

Post a Comment